Peanut Butter Cookies for Peanut Butter Lovers
These sweet, decadent babies are peanut butter cookies on steroids. And I mean that in a good way. The rich peanut butter filling with mini chocolate chips, sandwiched between quarter-sized peanut buttery cookies, are great with coffee, tea, a glass of milk, and despite its richness, even alone. They were a hit at work, which my thighs are thankful for. If I didn’t bring them in to share, I probably would have polished them all off in day.
The original recipe is courtesy of the lovely Mrs. Wheelbarrow, via Food52. I made a few minor modifications, and changed the size of the cookies, so that instead of 2 inches in diameter, they were 1 inch across. I figured if they were miniature, people would feel less guilty about eating them.
I was wrong. Most people just ate a few more.
Peanut Butter Cookies
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons or 1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (non-natural peanut butter works best)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheeting with parchment paper.
2. Cream together butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.
3. Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat well until smooth.
4. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Carefully fold flour mixture into butter mixture. Thoroughly mix until smooth.
6. Place 3/4 to 1-inch size drops of dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Press dough balls gently with two floured fingers and/or a fork.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
8. Remove tray from oven. Allow cookies to cool 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire or cooling rack.
9. Allow cookies to cool completely before sandwiching them with the cream.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cream
8 tablespoons (I stick) butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup miniature chocolate chips or finely chopped semisweet chocolate
4-6 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Beat together butter, sugar and peanut butter until smooth.
2. Mix in vanilla extract and chocolate.
3. Stir in heavy cream until smooth enough to spread.
4. Put the sandwich cookies together by placing a dollop of cream between two cookies. Continue until you’re done.
5. Eat. And don’t feel guilty about your thighs.